Tuesday, December 19, 2006
30 minutes: going down to the gym to see the basketball teams do their best against CMS...j-man is coming, since he knows those kiddos! we'll see how that all turns out...
24 .5 hours: Baking With Janice. sounds like a fun PBS show, like Sewing With Nancy. actually, i'm baking with Hava too. should be a rockin good time.
2 days: driving up to ray-town...may the force be with us! it will be sooooo very good to see natie and sarah, though!
love to my ninjas.
Friday, December 15, 2006
1. first chair alto sax in the MMS band
2. brokenhearted because I didn't make the basketball team
3. best friends with denise and erin
10 years ago today, I was…
1. killing myself over IB chemistry
2. really involved in church youth stuff
3. mad at my dad for having more kids
5 years ago today, I was…
1. substitute teaching
2. enjoying a new relationship--with j-man
3. living in the mddle of nowhere!
3 years ago today, I was…
1. getting ready to celebrate my 1st wedding anniversary!
2. cussing while coming out of anesthesia for my wisdom tooth surgery ("where are my f---ing teeth? Give me my f---ing teeth back!")
3. the proud owner of a shiny new teaching license
1 year ago today, I was…
1. in trouble for finding my Christmas present (accidentally, I swear!)
2. really excited about an upcoming anniversary trip to Chicago
3. really getting into this knitting thing
So far this year, I have…
1. knit myself a sweater
2. rearranged both spare bedrooms
3. found out that I'll need to rearrange one of those spare bedrooms. :)
1. shopped for my Secret Santa person
2. had (and indulged) a SERIOUS craving for a baked potato with sour cream
3. was really tired and DIDN'T address my Christmas cards...
1. hit snooze too many times and woke j-man up too early for his liking
2. received a candle and yummy chocolate from my Secret Santa
3. ate a brownie and smeared chocolate on my teeth and walked down the hallway at school, smiling at the kids
1. will go to a fun party
2. will brave the crowds to do a little shopping in the A.M.
3. will do some much needed cleaning, since it looks like crazy people live in my house.
Thursday, November 30, 2006
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
met the baby. (Elliott)
he belongs to friends and decided to show up 6 weeks early!
he's ok, though, doing well.
and looking very very cute.
here he is
that's not his mom
but it was the picture that best shows how TINY he is!
also got lots done on my SWEATER!
i'm making forecast from knitty.
love love love it.
going to make a few changes to the pattern a la things i saw on craftster.
joined a knitalong...pretty cool...a bunch of people making the same thing...although i think theirs look better than mine does!!!
Friday, November 10, 2006
these have been shrunk so blogger will let me post them. mer, i'll have to get them up somewhere else if you want to print them off! the "senior pictures" all turned out really cute!
in other news...ummmm...WHERE DID FRIDAY COME FROM?? holy cow, this week has flown. not that i'm complaining, mind you...it just happened really fast that it is friday again already. that's good because it means that i get to party down with dear teresa (and others) tonight, work on some neglected knitting (OOH FOR A BABY SHOWER WE'RE HOSTING sunday! yay!) and catch up on sleep. phew.
Thursday, November 02, 2006
Thursday, October 26, 2006
anyways...my oven mitt was KIDNAPPED two fridays ago at some point in the afternoon. i heard rumors, blew it off. but alas, they got her. i've been getting ransom notes and pictures in my teacher mailbox...they've been very creative, even named her. PALMala HANDerson. pretty funny if you ask me!!
the ransom notes are pretty funny...lots of rhyming and demands that i do jumping jacks or run in place during passing time. i retaliated because i liked what they were doing for my oven mitt--hair, eyes, etc...how did i know what they were doing? well, i got these pictures w/ the ransom notes...
did i get palmala back? yes, of course. she even danced at the dance on friday. helped me chaperone. what a gal. the best part? i know who the kids are that took it and did this, but they are being very discreet and not really outing themselves...to give her back, they wrote a referral and somehow got her into the assistant principal's office. that's where i found her!
how much do i love my students? how much do i love my job?? how much do i love that BOYS did some crafty, seamstress-like things to my oven mitt?????
alright...off for the not-as-fun part of my job...two days of parent-teacher conferences. wish me luck!
Sunday, October 22, 2006
Trellis from Knitty is done! (Well, except for buttons, but I have to wait until I find the perfect buttons that are also washable...) I started this sucker in June...this was the project I took up to the lake that month, then I abandoned it when we went out west. It doesn't have an owner, it was just something I wanted to make for the challenge, and I thought it was really cute!
and here's the back, which is what made me want to attempt this sweater in the first place:
Monday, October 02, 2006
Monday, September 18, 2006
1. Taking Janice to her first ever Johnny Appleseed Festival. Oh boy! All the fun old-fashioned food and other goodies and coming home smelling like fire!
2. Coming home and being able to veg a little. Tivo makes me happy--I got home at 5, but I still got to watch the Rachael Ray show...not sure how sold I am on it, but I liked the food ideas she had. Yay for Tivo and being able to watch the parts that interest me!
3. AUTHENTIC conversations...with the husband, and then later with the h.s. girls Bible study. Both somewhat challenging, but very very good and very very real.
4. Just a little something that I thought was funny and just now found again. I believe we were somewhere in California when I took this picture:
Tuesday, September 12, 2006
fog delay = extra sleep
fog delays for both of us = j-man goes to Sonic and gets us strawberry limeades
strawberry limeade = happy mrs. h
happy mrs. h = happy students
the weather today and tonight is supposed to be about the same as it was yesterday and last night, so it's looking good for the home team...
this week is BUSY, but good. we've got two meets at home, which i love. it's a lot of fun to host because we have the best course (at least i think so!) it's actually the most CROSSCOUNTRYISH (nice word, me!) of all the courses we run. it's the hardest, too, i think. up and down. up and down. other places it just seems like we're running around the school yard. booooo-rrrrring. home meets are also good because parents come, which is wonderful for the kids to feel all proud, and then they are there to take their kids home right away and i get home a whole HOUR earlier than away meets! no bus ride, much less waiting for rides. ahhhh....
Thursday, September 07, 2006
i had to go to the bathroom (yep, #2) in a bad bad way...right in the middle of a class this morning. well...it's not the best idea to leave 20 12-year-olds alone, but it was going to get ugly. (this is not the funny thing, by the way)
so i gave them their homework assignment and told them to get started...stepped out, did my thing soooooo lightning fast and was back in under 2 minutes...they were quiet and working.
here's the thing--three of them had their HAND RAISED...no i'm not making this up. were they just being that good or were they such airheads that they didn't know i had left?? i'm sure i, as a student, would have found the fact that the teacher was GONE very interesting...i don't know about these kids....good and virtuous or just clueless??? the jury's still out...
Saturday, September 02, 2006
even though the lid was crap and leaked coffee all over my shirt...
Happiness is also:
1. caffeine from aforementioned coffee...working overtime on lil ol decaf me...maybe i'll get some things done around here while j-man is chopping down trees at the lake cottage!
2. Hobby Lobby...for a little over $11 i scored some yarn for a shrug, a purse pattern (never enough!), and a good sized pile of scrap crap! yay for craftiness! and clearance aisles!
3. girlyfriends...who knew that a blindfold, a shoe store, and wal-mart were such great entertainment?? (well, t-bone may disagree...)
this last picture is blurry, but i loooooooooooove it soooooo sooo sooooo much! they were laughing, and i was laughing, so the "movement" in the picture is real! "i don't feel the need to explain my art to you, warren." --anyone know what movie that's from????
Tuesday, August 29, 2006
this i like.
now she just needs to get her cute little hind end down from chi-town to see me!!!
yay for GOOD days!
can i get a woop woop?!
Good list for today:
1. Cooler weather made my classroom much more bearable today. i might actually say it was comfortable! might...a/c would still be a good thing up in that piece...
2. my principal actually complimented my "enthusiasm and leadership" today! wow! i'd like to think i do what i do because i love it, but it is really really good to be affirmed sometimes, you know?
3. my XC kids had an AMAZING practice today! they ran SOOO well and i was a proud proud coach!
4. XC kids just making me laugh today. i was running next to a couple of the boys, and one of them totally took to the air and hosed me by splashing in a puddle. it was so funny that i couldn't be mad. then this girl decided that i need to have a baby so she suggested that "tonight, you and the mister...you know..." oh, again so funny, how can you be mad at that? i'm just glad i don't have her in class this year...so inappropriate!!
5. it felt like fall! and sweaters and fall colors and pumpkins and apple crisp make me happy. only a month and half until our lovely Brown County weekend away!
and i'm not going to make a bad list because what's the point today?
OHHHH and some kid today asked me what an anal probe was. he was totally and completely SERIOUS. auuuuuuuuughhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
and here's the picture that someone saw and recognized janice, and then her son recognized all of us!!! small world, eh?
love and kung fu to all!
Thursday, August 24, 2006
thanks for my friends.
thanks that we have each other.
and can be authentic.
thanks even for email and the internet...
that we know what's up (and down, i guess...)
even though we're spread out
and so "busy" and burdened with all the stuff life throws out...
Thursday, August 17, 2006
It's just tomatoes (from the garden!), basil, red onions, fresh mozzarella (the really soft kind, oh joy of joys...) and a little balsamic vinegar and good olive oil, salt, pepper...
Yes, it's late lunch because i was school shopping. yes, i still think it's fun to go school shopping. picked up stuff for my classroom and some cute outfits for my baking-hot room...
and....drumroll please...here's what i FINALLY finished yesterday:
yes, i am just nuts enough to make a whole entire king-size quilt...it's been sitting partially completed in my front bedroom for a year, i think...oh the shame! so now it's done for the rest of the warmer months. i don't like it well enought to forsake the down comforter come winter! though jamie told me it's not a sin to be proud in the sense that i am proud of this bad boy...i love it on the bed!
Tuesday, August 15, 2006
1. run w/ the cross country kids (if it's Mon/Tue/Thurs)
2. a little cleaning
3. make something for lunch that i like that the husband would never eat! (today it was caprese salad--oh YUM!)
4. maybe a nap...z..z.zzzzzzzzz
5. toot around on the internet, email some peeps
6. get disgusted w/ myself for sitting here, go do something crafty...knit, sew (maybe i will one day finish that big blue quilt!), attempt to scrapbook...
7. make some dinner for the hubs and me...usually grilled...so easy...
rough, huh? i loooooooooooove me some summer!
speaking of rough, check out Jeremy's 6th grade picture...yes that's all his own hair...wouldn't know it now, would you?? hhehehe
Friday, March 03, 2006
Success: to laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better place, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Friday, February 24, 2006
And here it is on...no I don't think I'll wear it with these pants for real...and no I don't usually take pictures in the bathroom, but my cat wasn't cooperating and I didn't have the patience to diddle around with the timer! So that's it! It's done!
Wednesday, February 22, 2006
My Knitting Olympics entry is a cabled belt, and it's in the dryer right now, shrinking I hope. I used cotton yarn, and it just needs some sort of tie and some beads and I'll be done. It actually went pretty quickly, since I had a car trip and some time at my mom's to work on it. Here is a picture, pre-shrinkage and pre-finishing touches. Hopefully it'll look cute slung over jeans or a long loose skirt!
Cables weren't so scary after all!!
The pattern is from a little Vogue Knitting book I found at the library. I used the yarn they called for because it was cheap and easy to find! It was Sugar and Cream in Ecru. It took less than one ball to do the whole belt, but I'm not done finishing it up yet!
One more photo of this madness before I head to bed! My first sock! Casting on...I'm a bit farther along now, but we'll see how this goes...it looks kind of fat for my leg...
Monday, February 06, 2006
It's a great feeling to get TWO projects completed over the weekend. It was gross and snowy out all weekend, so I got a third bootie (the first two didn't wind up matching, size-wise!) and the rest of a pink panta that had been sitting around 1/2 finished for about a month! Here's a picture of the booties! They are from "Weekend Knitting" by Melanie Falick, but I just couldn't make them out of ANGORA (um...I don't think you can throw that in the washer after the baby spits up on it...) so I used one strand of some Caron baby acrylic stuff and one strand of this super fine "peach fuzz" from Hobby Lobby to get that fuzzy look. I'm not fooling anyone into thinking they are angora, but that wasn't the point!
So of course I immediately cast on a new project...I started the "Made with Love" baby cardigan from MagKnits to teach myself how to make a sweater!!