Sunday, January 15, 2012

laughing like a jackal. and it feels good.

if i could keep one pregnancy "symptom" around after this baby arrives, it would be the way i get the giggles. like laugh till i cry and maybe until i'm running to the bathroom before i pee my pants giggles.  i have been finding everything so ridiculously funny for the past 8 or so months. i kind of love it.  but now i'm getting to the point where sometimes it HURTS to laugh, and i tell jeremy all the time to "save the funny" for later so i can laugh at it when it feels better. but tonight the baby was situated in such a way that i could guffaw and chortle and hoot to my heart's content. ahhhh feels good.

this happened to a lesser extent when i was pregnant with sam...i remember telling people to hold the funny. i really wish i had made a list, but i do remember one particular story about "stepping on a nut"...i really truly stepped on a nut. we were out walking, since i was overdue and dying to get the baby out and i stepped on an acorn. it was kind of rainy out and the acorn sort of rolled under the tread of my shoe and made a sound that can only be described as "suspicious". so i said "whoa, i stepped on a nut!" of course jeremy didn't believe me and said i was lying to cover up passing gas. oh how it struck me as so funny--but it hurt so much to laugh that i had to make myself stop. to this day, jeremy won't believe me but it still makes me giggle just thinking about it. "stepping on a nut" has since been our euphemism of choice for sneaky fart situations.

so a few from tonight...so hopefully i can keep laughing in a few weeks when i'm sleep-deprived and crazy:

1. talking like Gloria on Modern Family. all day long. almost. i do a really good job, if i do say so myself. it amuses me to no end and i usually can't finish what i am saying. my man might not find this as entertaining as i do.

2. we have (had) a small chocolate stash in the freezer. tonight jeremy got some out and shared with the boys. he dropped a piece, and marcus ate it off of the floor...marcus then ran across the kitchen and was DELIGHTED to find more--i can't properly type the joyful noise he made...then he discovered that what he thought was chocolate was really a black Lego and threw it out into the dining room with a sound of disgust that also is difficult to replicate. oh how i wish i had that moment on video. i just have to keep playing it in my head and hope it never goes away!

3. jeremy used my computer to sign into his library account tonight and left himself logged in. foolish move. so i filled up his holds queue with books on goat husbandry. (i can type this here because i think he reads my blog about once a year.) ohhhh can't wait until he figures that one out. i just kept spontaneously laughing about this throughout the evening as i thought about it. which of course jeremy kept asking me about, and i had to keep making stuff up, which was all very absurd, which got even funnier....hopefully he won't see anything until the emails start arriving that his books are in at the dupont branch...even better would be people seeing a stack of goat books and recognizing his name on the little ticket. heeeeeeeeeeeee!!

4. jeremy couldn't remember the word for "scarf"...so he tried some others.  "shawl" was pretty close, "neck warmer" was ok,  but "compress" put me over the edge and i had to pause the show we were watching because i was laughing so hard.

5. jeremy doesn't always (ok...really not ever) share my amusement in these cases, which actually makes me laugh harder. so not a funny in and of itself, but a funny magnifier? straight man? whatevs.

no one will find my short list nearly as amusing as i do...surely the baby won't either...poor thing has been bounced around all night with my crazy cackling!

on another note? pretty sure nesting has begun. i'll hit 35 weeks tomorrow, so that sounds about right....i think my dear husband was praying for this day. i've purged and re-organized my closet, cleaned and sanitized all the bottles and pump parts, made a quilt, washed a bunch of baby laundry and started freaking out about not having a dresser...good thing the baby won't care about onesies in a pile on the floor if that's where they stay. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i can hear your cackles & guffaws just in reading your words... I'd love to come and giggle with you, I find your brand of humor quite hilarifying.

and the "code word combo" i have to enter to set this comment in stone is "Hot-hed-bo" which makes me snicker a bit.

*jamie p